Friday, January 31, 2014

Things in Muffin Tins - Part 1: Pot Pie



As we all live our lives, we develop quirks and odd goals that ride side saddle to the more normal parts of our lives. It's those odd bits of personality that make life interesting and, often times, lead us to try new (and possibly terrible) ways to change up the mundane. Personally, I have taken on the habit of asking myself something very important while I'm cooking:

Can I put it in a muffin tin?

Usually the answer is 'No!' but sometimes I get lucky. Today was a lucky 'yes' day. Let me introduce you to my new favorite cupcake tin recipe -


Behold! The poorly photographed Mini Chicken Pot Pie and the first installment of Things in Muffin Tins.

Now, as you can see, it's a bit wobbly in shape and I've turned it into a shredded cheese volcano, but I feel like that's part of it's charm. It tasted great and required very little effort from yours truly while still being hearty. And! As my husband happily pointed out to me midway through dinner, you don't have to use a fork. So, for brave souls, I suppose it works as a finger food.

For those of you interested in giving this a try, I'm going to include my fast and loose recipe below. 

The Crust:

(Note: This crust recipe isn't my recipe. I don't remember where I found it online but I love it)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter (cold. I just use the 'from the tub' stuff)
- A sprinkle of salt
- A dash of sugar

Mix this lovely science project together until it's all crumbly. Add a few drips of water and then squish it all together into one big full-of-potential lump of dough.  

The Innards:

- 1 cooked chicken breast (or two if you want less veggies and more chicken)
- 1 can of condensed mushroom soup
- peas, carrots, onions, and, if you're feeling frisky, some celery.

- Mashed potatoes (Home made or from a box. Whatever makes you happy! Personally, I love yellow potatoes with a little garlic, butter, and milk)
- Shredded cheese

Shred the chicken like it said something mean about your grandmother and then stir it into the condensed soup and your veggies. This will be the yummy soft filling of your pot pie!

Next, roll out your dough nice and thin and cut it to fit into your muffin tin. I use a mason jar to cut the circles for the bottom, re-roll what's left and cut it into strips to line the sides. If you're like me and like lots of crust, keep those extra strips to put on top! Once your muffin tin is safely shielded via crust cups, spoon in your filling. Top it off with a spoonful or two of your yummy mashed potatoes and sprinkle some cheese on it. If you've got those left over crust strips, now's the time to get creative with them.

Lastly, put those bad boys into the oven (at 350 F) for 40-50 minutes. Let them cool for about 10 once they're free of their oveny prison and enjoy!

-Rianne

No comments :

Post a Comment